The Common Application Instructions
Before you Begin your Common Application
- Be aware of application deadlines. We submit all materials for applications by the business day before a deadline that falls on either a weekend or during school breaks. Our office is not open on holidays or during Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks.
- Supporting documents (i.e., transcripts, letters of recommendation, fee waivers) can be sent to your college prior to you submitting your Common Application (CA) as long as you have provided our office with your Common App ID# when you request your transcript.
- IMPORTANT! List Post High School Counselor Ivy Hartman (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your counselor in The Common App. This will help us to better assist you with your application and the submission of documents.
Create Your Common Application
- Use an email you check regularly.
- Instructions and tips for completing each section:
- For additional help troubleshooting the Common Application visit these sites:
Requesting Letters of Recommendation
- Most CA schools require a counselor letter of recommendation and possibly a teacher's letter.
- Ask your recommender in-person for their recommendation.
- Give Ms. Hartman and your teacher(s) at least 14 working days before your application deadline to complete their letters.
- Complete an activity resume to give to your recommender.
For Teacher Letters
- Do NOT request teacher letters through The Common App. Letters will be sent to your schools through Scoir, not through Common App.
For Letters from the Post High School Counselor
Complete a Transcript Request
- Complete your FERPA permissions in Scoir (this is not the same as the FERPA you complete in Common App)
- Complete a Transcript Request form
- For complete instructions, visit the Transcripts page of our website.
Finish Your Application
- Have someone read your essay(s) and application before you submit your CA.
- Be sure to SUBMIT it!
- If applicable, you will pay an application fee (have a credit/debit card ready).
- It is okay to double check that your documents are submitted on time.
- Check the status of documents by logging into your Scoir account.
- Talk with your teacher or other recommender.
- Stop by the Post High School Planning Office for assistance.